Civil Service Exam Vocabulary Review 1
As in any examination, of course, the sets of questions change, so it is impossible to know what are the vocabulary words that will appear in the next Civil Service Exam. However, in vocabulary exams, there are also some word favorites. In this series of vocabulary review, I am going to discuss some of the words that usually appear in examinations. I suggest that you do not just memorize them. To remember them better, write your own sentence using these words and speak them whenever you have a chance.
Civil Service Exam Vocabulary Review
1. alleviate – to make easier to endure, to lessen
Sample Sentence: After this operation, take three tablets everyday to alleviate the pain.
2. amicable – friendly, showing good will
Sample Sentence: After so many years of battle in courts, the two families finally agreed on an amicable settlement.
3. benevolent – showing good will, desiring to help others
Sample Sentence: The first time I saw him, I knew that he was a benevolent person.
4. inevitable – sure to happen, unavoidable, certain
Sample Sentence: Death is inevitable. Taxes too.
5. scrutinize – to examine in detail
Sample Sentence: The guy who entered the building was suspicious, so the police scrutinized belongings.
6. tenacious – persistent, stubborn, obstinate, retentive
- That guy has been courting me for 5 years. He was so tenacious that I finally fell in love with him.
- I have quite a tenacious memory. I can’t forget a face.
7. disdain – to scorn, to treat with contempt, despise
After the death of his wife, he was offered a large amount of money by his boss, but he refused it with disdain.
8. evident – plain or clear to the sight or understanding
Sample Sentence: Even when he was young, it was evident that he will do great things.
9. frugal – not wasteful, thrifty
Sample Sentence: All his life, he had been frugal in his expenses. No wonder he has a lot of money.
10. superficial – lacking in content, shallow
Sample Sentence: Sometimes, his writings seems superficial, but when you look at them deeply, you will see the real meaning.
I hope you have learned something in this post. We will have some more words in the next posts.