Grammar Quiz on Prepositions of Place
The use f preposition of place is one of the most confusing grammar rules, but they are actually quite simple if you know the rules. The most commonly confused preposition of place are in, on and at. Remember the following general rules.
1.) In is usually used to refer to an enclosed place. For example, in a box, in the room, in Japan. Notice that enclosed can mean a very small or very large place.
2.) On is usually used to refer to a surface. Use on when you referring to a thing attached to something. For example on a table, on the board, on the chair.
3.) At is used to refer to a particular point or place. For example, at the bank, at the entrance, at my girl friend’s house. Again, notice that the “point” can be enclosed or not.
There are many prepositions, but these three are the most confusing.
Grammar Quiz – Preposition of Place
Choose the preposition of place that completes each sentence. You can see the correct answer by clicking the + button after the choices. Good luck.
1. I have a picture of my grandma ___ my wall, so I would always remember her.
[toggle title=”Answer”]b. on[/toggle]
2. I think I might have lost my mobile phone ____ the time I took a taxi and snack time.
[toggle title=”Answer”]b. between[/toggle]
3. There was an accident earlier. A rider fell ___ a motor bike.
[toggle title=”Answer”]c. off[/toggle]
4. After going to church, grandma would usually sit ___ the park and read newspapers.
[toggle title=”Answer”]b. in[/toggle]
5. The bus is returning ___ school because of heavy flood. Camping is cancelled.
[toggle title=”Answer”]c. to[/toggle]
6. During weekends, when I have nothing to buy, I usually stay ___ home.
[toggle title=”Answer”]a. at[/toggle]
7. Carl, don’t forget to put the juice ___ the fridge.
[toggle title=”Answer”]d. in[/toggle]
8. My office is just 500 meters away, so I just walk __ work everyday.
[toggle title=”Answer”]a. to[/toggle]
9. The boss is in a good mood after coming back ___ a 2-week holiday.
[toggle title=”Answer”]b. from[/toggle]
10. There was a party last night ___ the end of ours street. It was very noisy.
[toggle title=”Answer”]b. at[/toggle]
What’s your score? For more quizzes and practice test, visit the Practice Test page.