It seems that everybody enjoyed the previous grammar quizzes, so I plan to create a few more. Below is the sixth of the Grammar Quiz Series.
Grammar and Correct Usage Quiz 6
Fill in the blanks with the most appropriate word.
1. The coffee is sweet. I think you put too ___ sugar.
2. The princess wanted to leave the palace, but the king wouldn’t let her go. So, she escaped in ____ wearing a guard’s armor.
3. ___ I arrived earlier, I would have passed the exam.
4. You are a bit far. Can you ____ me?
5. It’s hard to ____ accurate information from a man who was trained to lie.
6. Anna: I found ___ key under the table.
Barry: No, ___ not mine.
a.) your, its
b.) your, it’s
c.) you’re, its
d.) you’re, it’s
You’re means “you are,” so it is not correct . It’s mean “it is.” As such, “It’s not mine” means “it is not mine.”
7. After sensing the danger was ______, we went out of the house immediately.
8. When I was young, I _____ sing classical music.
a.) use to
b.) use too
c.) used to
d.) used too
9. Kathy, together with her cousin, ___ going to Paris next month.
Phrases such as together with, as well as, along with, etc. usually modifies the subject (in this case Kathy) but does not function like “and”. Kathy, is the subject, and the time is in the future (next month) so the verb must be is.
10. I have read the ____ of our History textbook and it was really interesting. I think I am going to read the book from cover to cover.
c.) four word
Now, what’s your score this time?
For more quizzes and practice test, visit the Practice Test page.