Grammar Rules: Future Perfect Tense
Written by Leny Ortega
Future perfect expresses the idea that something will happen before another action in the future. It also shows that something will happen before a specific time in the future. Just like the past perfect tense there must be two actions. In this case, these actions should be completed or done in the future. The action that will happen first, though in the future, will follow the will + have + past participle of the verb. Then, the other future action will use the simple present tense.
Form: will + have +past participle of the verb
The common time expressions are: before, by tomorrow/ 7 o’clock / next month, etc., until or till.
1. By next year, I will have moved to my new house.
2. By the time the husband gets home, the wife will have cooked dinner.
3. He will have perfected his English by the time he moves to the US.
Exercise: Use the future perfect form of the verb in the following sentences.
1. They (graduate) from college by April 2025.
2. Melissa (turn) 40 by the end of the year.
3. The students (submit) the report until the teacher (arrive).
4. I (complete) the needed reports by the time the president (need) them.
5. A better model of cellular phones (release) in the market by next month.
1. They will have graduated from college by April 2025. This means that come 2025 the students are definitely done with their studies.
2. Melissa will have turned 40 by the end of the year. This statement tells us that before the end of December Melissa will have celebrated her 40th birthday. Therefore, the birthday comes first before the year ends.
3. The students will have submitted the report until the teacher arrives. The idea here is that when the teacher comes to school the students have already submitted the report. Therefore, she doesn’t have to wait for them because she has it probably on her table.
4. I will have completed the reports by the time the president needs it. The two future actions here are the completion of the reports and the time when the report is needed. In this sentence the completion happened first even before the president asks the secretary probably, to hand him the copy of the reports.
5. A better model of cellular phones will have released in the market by next month. In this number the two future events are the release of the new cellular phones and next month. Therefore the market is expected to have the new unit of cell phones before we turn to another month.