To recapitulate the previous posts in progressive tenses (present, past, and future), the writer prepares related exercises to evaluate your mastery of this lesson. The run-down of practice exercises come after the brief discussion of each progressive tense. Just check your answer/s in the provided key to correction once you are done.
Let us begin our summary with the Present progressive tense. This tense of the verb is used to show an on-going action at the time of speaking. Here, we use the am/ is/ are + present participle or the verb in –ing (talking, walking, etc.) Sometimes it is also used to denote future action.
Next is past progressive tense. To express this tense correctly, you have to remember that there should be two past actions: One is going on at the time when another thing happened. The form is: was (singular) / were (plural) + present participle (walking, talking, etc.)
Lastly, the future progressive tense of the verb is used almost similar to the usage of the future perfect tense. It tells us continuous action in the future before another future action occurs. Time markers such as: by the year ends, by the start of the week, a week from now and so on are commonly used. To form the future progressive tense, we have to use the will be + present participle of the verb (will be celebrating, will be eating, etc.)
Write the correct form of each given verb in the parentheses. Check your answer /s below.
1. The students (protest) over the tuition fee hike.
2. By the time she (graduate), Melissa (receive) many job invitations.
3. Many people (file) their income tax returns when they (announce) the deadline.
4. She (come) home by the year ends.
5. The teacher (retire) next month.
6. She (tell) them the good news in a few weeks from now.
7. The principal (leave) her post by the time she (receive) complaints from the faculty members.
8. My mother (contemplate) on a possible change of career.
9. She (travel) to different places by the time she (reach) the age 40.
10. Melissa (read) the novel fifty shades of Gray when a friend (invite) her to watch its movie version.
1. were protesting
2. graduates, will be receiving
3. were filing, announced
4. will be coming
5. is retiring
6. will be telling
7. will be leaving, receives
8. is contemplating
9. will be traveling, reaches
10. was reading, invited